Tuesday, July 01, 2014

Cambridge Fishing Report

We've been passing the Bill Burton fishing pier in Cambridge, also known as the former Route 50 bridge, for years.  Every time I pass it I think to myself, "I would love to fish there!"

The bridge crosses over the Choptank River, which feeds the Chesapeake Bay.  The town of Cambridge Maryland in Dorchester County is on the southern side of the river, with Talbot County on the north side. The new Route 50 bridge is 1.7 miles across and is higher to avoid the requirement of having a drawbridge.  The old bridge had a drawbridge, but that section was cut out, so the bridge is no longer connected to either side.  But it's still really long!

U.S. Route 50 Senator Malkus Jr. Memorial Bridge in Cambridge, Maryland

Last weekend I took my son, my nephew, and my neighbor's son, on an epic fishing trip to Ocean City, but with plans to stop along the way.

My son and I have a challenge to fish in every county in the state of Maryland this year.  With this Eastern Shore trip we could knock out Dorchester, Talbot, Somerset, Worcester, and Wicomico Counties.  Well, that didn't quite turn out the way I planned.  By the time we were on our way, everyone was so excited to get to Ocean City and fish that the counties in between were skipped.

We did, however, stop in Talbot County to fish off of the old Route 50 bridge.  Without any further ado, we fished for 2 hours and did not get a bite.  I spoke to about 5 different fishermen who had been there for a while.  One caught a spot fish, another a white perch.  Everyone else was leaving empty-handed.  It was certainly not a bonanza fishing experience for anyone.  Where are all of the fish?

The best thing was the view.  We got there at 7am and the weather was beautiful.  At least we can now say that I fished off of that bridge.

Bill Burton Fishing Pier on Choptank River in Cambridge, Maryland.

Hyatt Regency Chesapeake Bay in Cambridge, Maryland on the Choptank River.



No comments:

Who links to my website?
 
Add to Technorati Favorites Add to Technorati Favorites Add to Technorati Favorites