Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Happy Birithday, President Lincoln


I once saw a comic strip where the Australian character was talking about eye blinkin'.  The other character kept asking about his eyes until he realized that he was talking about Abe Lincoln.  Eye Blinkin'.  Abe Lincoln.

Abraham Lincoln, our 16th President, arguably one of the best, if not the best president in this history of the United States.  Lincoln was the first Republican president and also the first President to be assassinated.  He freed the slaves, though he was criticized for his methods and his altering objectives during the Civil War.  He originally wanted to send them back to Africa.  He then just wanted to reunited the states, then he declared that they would be free.  I like to think that he 'evolved' to the correct decision.  Slavery was a great scourge in this country and he was the first President in this country with the balls to do something about it.

Lincoln was born in 1809 in Kentucky.  Kentucky?  Yep, Kentucky.  And I'm not talking about Pennsyltucky, that area between Philadelphia and Pittsburgh. 

He's been portrayed by Sam Waterston, Dan Aykroyd, Daniel Day-Lewis, and who can forget the memorable portrayal by Benjamin Walker in Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter?  I think that was actually a decent vampire movie.

I haven't been to his birthplace yet, but I have been to the Lincoln Memorial:

Abraham Lincoln inside the Lincoln Memorial in Washington, D.C.

I've also been to the Ford Theater where Bel Air, Maryland native John Wilkes Booth assassinated Mr. Lincoln.

Ford Theater, Washington, D.C.





And I've also been to the Peterson House where Lincoln died.  Here's the bed.


And I've also read this autographed copy of Manhunt, The 12-day Chase for Lincoln's Killer by Jamse L. Swanson.  Awesome book.



No comments:

Who links to my website?
 
Add to Technorati Favorites Add to Technorati Favorites Add to Technorati Favorites