Monday, July 08, 2013

Kingsville Parade - Happy 4th of July

We all know that our Founding Fathers fought against England and King George so that we could have barbecues, parades, and fireworks.  Here's my annual recap of the Kingsville parade.

For those of you who just don't give a crap about this country or are too stupid to know any better, you rise and salute or clap the procession carrying the first flag.  The United States flag is to be held higher than the Maryland flag, but perhaps Maryland Governor O'Malley had something to say about this because the Maryland flag was definitely flying higher than Old Glory.  My mother-in-law pointed it out to me.  AND - I mentioned this last year.  You think they would learn.


You'll notice that this year's pictures have the parade features going to the right instead of to the left.  That's because I sat on the other side of the street.  Not by choice.  Squatters already had the entire parking lot line staked out with their soccer tents and folding chairs by 8:30am.  The parade isn't until 10:45.  Yes, I know that other parades are worse. But this is Kingsville, population 145.  We had to settle for a 3 foot slab of grass 2 inches from the road.

I think this is a first for the parade.....a 1961 Chevy Impala.  It was followed by a much less impressive 2013 Chevy Impala, which is easily confused with a Toyota Camry and a Buick LaCrosse.


If you've been reading my blog, you know that I LOVE fire trucks and assorted rescue apparatus.  New to the parade this year were a series of Rehab vehicles. This is the Baltimore County Central Alarmers Rehab Unit 154, which is a Ford F-350.  I have no idea what they do.


The F-350 was followed by this equally impressive Ford E-450 Rehab 153 cooling van.


Next in line was the Central Alarmers Rehab 155 cooking truck.  Who knew that a food truck could have lights and a siren?  Look out Taco Truck, here come the Central Alarmers!


Bringing up the rear is this old Grumman Rehab 155, which I think is also a food truck.  At least it had a picture of a coffee maker on the side.  This may have been a rehabbed snow ball truck.  Now that I think about it, the speaker was playing a rendition of Do Your Ears Hang Low.


I can't figure out where this fire truck resides.  It's a Seagrave hook and ladder, but it is identified as Brownville Fire Department, which I cannot locate in Maryland.  Anyone?  It's definitely older - late 80's/ early 90's.  Gosh - I'm calling the early 90's older.  It was 20 years ago, right?


New to the Joppa Magnolia Fire department is the Fort Hudson 2012 Pierce Arrow XT Engine 814.  They get to attend those crazy-ass accidents on I-95 where drunk drug-runners from New York drive 120 mph and swerve in and out of traffic until they eventually crash.  I know, I know.  That's pretty much every driver from New York, but work with me here.


Here's another one I cannot identify.  It is a Pierce Arrow truck, probably from the late 70's/early 80's. It looks a lot like the fire truck I remember the Rosedale VFD operating when I lived there in the late 70's / early 80's.  Hmmm.....  On the side it says Base Naval de Rota, which is a base in Spain fully funded by the United States.  So, this is an import?


No parade is complete without politicians pandering to the voters.  Again, no Governor Martin O'Malley.  I've never seen him at the Kingsville parade.  I guess he doesn't care about people in Eastern Baltimore County and Western Harford County.

State Delegate Kathy Szeliga never misses a parade.  She's looking good!


Rick Impallaria is always there.  This year he's wearing a USA hat so that you know he loves America! "God bless America.  And no one else!"  (he didn't say that)


State Senator J.B. Jennings loves the Kingsville parade.  And donuts and burgers.


And finally, Susan K. McComas is always at the Kingsville parade.  With her hat.  Remember last year when she wore this hat?  But she didn't wear it in 2011.


Okay, you talked me into it.  One more fire truck.  How about the Middleborough VFD 2004 Pierce Enforcer Engine 231?



What's your favorite parade?


No comments:

Who links to my website?
 
Add to Technorati Favorites Add to Technorati Favorites Add to Technorati Favorites