Friday, May 20, 2011

2011 Dover 400

No Dover 400 would be complete without a recap on my blog. Though I'll have to admit that the novelty of the race gets a little thinner each year. But it's still a good time!

As I mentioned before, my grandfather passed away last Friday and the race was on Sunday. We all knew that nothing was going to happen between Friday night and Sunday afternoon. I wasn't sure if my parents would be up to going to the race. And I was afraid to broach the topic. Would it be inappropriate to ask my parents for the tickets if they didn't want to go? I finally asked if they were going and my dad said, "Yeah, why not?" Well that answered that question!

Sunday morning, I half-assed getting ready and drove to my parents' house in Hazzard County. We loaded up my truck and headed out. We cruised up I-95 at like 80 mph and it really seemed like nothing. Everyone else was going that fast. My mother commented that the drive was so smooth, unlike the ride in her Ford Explorer. She told my dad that she thinks she wants a Honda Pilot next.

We arrived at the Subway just north of Dover that we've stopped at for the past 3 years. It's a Subway \ Dunkin Donuts. What an awesome combination. I got (wait for it....) a sub and a donut!

I took a picture of this device. I'm not sure what it was. It says 'Phone', but it had a cable hanging from it and you couldn't see the numbers you're dialing. And how do you access Facebook from this thing?



We got to the track and parked in the handicapped parking (because that's the way we roll at a NASCAR event!). Actually my mom, perhaps you'll remember this from last year) was in a car accident that left her with hip displacement and she suffers from pain from that. I'm not complaining about not getting to park in another zip code and walking. We pulled out the chairs and tailgated old-people type. I drank a beer. My dad had a cigarette, and my mom had an iced tea and a cigarette.

We finally decided to roll in. My mother and father were given a shuttle pass. I decided to make like a hiker and take all the gear with me and walk. Told them I'd meet them there. I walked what seemed like 2 miles (it may actually have been 2 miles!). I lugged the gear up into the grandstands. I sweating worse than Obama facing the House of Representatives. I finally get to my seat and my parents are nowhere to be found. I fortunately missed most of the corny pre-show activities. Since I had some time to kill, I whipped out my (wait for it....) book - Sammy Hagar's Red. It's a good book. I have about 30 pages to go. I'd probably be done if I wasn't on damn Facebook all the time.

The crowd seems a little small this year. For a moment I thought I was at an Orioles game at Camden Yards.



Here's a zoom on pit row. There's Reed Sorenson in the Target car, Marcos Ambrose in the DW, car. That's DeWalt for those of you who go to Home Depot and pretend you know about tools. Jeff Burton is in the Caterpillar car,


Have you ever seen so many Republicans in one place before? Do you see my friend Chris near the turn? Me neither.

Here's the infield. Contrary to the drunken fest at the Preakness, the Dover fans are quite civilized.


No sporting event would be official without a fly-over.

And really cool sporting events get sky-divers with American flags trailing behind them. This guy landed in the seat next to me. Fortunately he bought the next round of beer.


About 15 minutes later my parents arrive. This is after the fly-over of the F-16's, but just before "Gentlemen, start your engines!" What do they say in races that include Danica Patrick? 'Lady and gentlemen, start your engines'??? I have to admit the roar of the engines firing up is one of the most incredible sounds you'll ever hear. And them pulling away from pit row is amazing, too. I keep my headphones off for a few laps to appreciate how loud it is. When the cars come out of that final turn and they waive that green flag and the cars go from, what, 60 mph? to 140 mph in a matter of a couple seconds. It'a AMAZING!

I'm thinking of getting wheels like this for my Honda Pilot - red wheels and tires with yellow writing. How awesome would that be?



The pace car leading the pack.


The green flag...


Have you ever picked up a tire? On the wheel? It's heavy. Yeah, that guy on the left is putting it in his side pocket. I guess training for pit crews does not involve pizza, beer, and Facebook.


Here's the point of the race where I start getting distracted. This guy had this bug on his shirt for like an hour.


Grandpa Goodwrench fell asleep here.

You're going to have to control yourself with this next picture. Yes, that's a fat hairy naked old guy drinking beer. I wanted to recommend a new line of soft-underwire bras for him, but he obviously wouldn't hear me since he has on those ear protectors.


This stupid chick in the camo hat got in the way just as I was about to take a picture of the cars coming into Turn 4. I never knew a girl could be so hot in camo. Or in Turn 4.


I think I was the only fan not advertising my favorite drive (Carl Edwards). This is a ravaging Kyle Busch fan. Most people were telling Kyle that he was number 1.


And a Carl Edwards' fan. You probably think I'm kidding. But seriously, I was the only person not wearing a racing shirt. My mom had on her Jeff Gordon shirt.


Here is one of the highlights of the race. Someone kissed the wall. I think it was Reed Sorenson.


Matt Kenseth ended winning the race. However, all of the attention was on Carl Edwards (who's leading in the points category) and Jimmy Johnson who were battling it out all race-long. A caution with about 35 laps to go shuffled everything and neither driver was able to get back to the front. It was like starting the race all over again. Drivers usually win NASCAR races with skill. But sometimes it helps to be lucky.

And that's my recap of the 2011 Dover 400. Who's going with me next year?

No comments:

Who links to my website?
 
Add to Technorati Favorites Add to Technorati Favorites Add to Technorati Favorites