Friday, April 01, 2011

A Night with the Circus

We received a call from the Starlight Children's Foundation saying that we could go to the opening night of the Ringling Brothers & Barnum Bailey Circus at the fabulous Baltimore First Mariner Arena. I was excited because I hadn't been to the RB&BB Circus since I was a wee lad. Some may say that I'm still a wee lad, but that's a different discussion.


We arrived at the arena around 6:15 and were looking for a lady named Farrah. We finally found a girl with a Starlight shirt on. She was a pretty girl who couldn't have been more than 24. She hooked us up with clown noses, clown hair wigs, vouchers for hot dogs, chips, and soda, and most importantly - 5 tickets to the circus.

The bag check and ticket line was it's own circus. People were pushing and shoving their way to the front. Then I heard an old man pushing his way through, but he pushed off to the left and down the hall. It was WBAL's Rob Roblin.

Rob Roblin:


We finally made it into the bowl of the fabulous Baltimore Arena. Our seats were in the corner, a bit out of the way, but that was okay. Since it was the opening night, they allowed all obnoxious and rude parents to bring their whiny bratty children onto the floor to meet some of the performers and observer some demonstrations. Since we fit into neither of those categories, we decided to watch it from a far.


The circus finally started and my daughter was super excited. She hollered out, "What, is this a party or something?" She climbed up on my lap for a better view and had a smile that wouldn't quit.


She finally got tired of having her hat on her head and pulled it off. I think her bald head caught many people by surprise. But she doesn't care. When she lost her hair she asked, "I don't have to wash my hair anymore, do I?" She was very excited about that.

During the intermission Farrah returned to give out the remaining vouchers, ask if we were having fun, and take pictures of the families.

Though we don't agree with keeping elephants in cages the size of Subarus, we were excited to see them. We also got to see tigers, acrobats, clowns, and motorcyclists in a cage, which was actually really fascinating.



All in all we had an excellent time. Starlight Children's Foundation - thank you so much for the opportunity to see the circus!


1 comment:

Unknown said...

Payton is the best! The quotes you included made me smile. Thank you!!

Who links to my website?
 
Add to Technorati Favorites Add to Technorati Favorites Add to Technorati Favorites