Friday, April 01, 2011

2011 South Carroll Business Expo Review

I know it's been a week, but I haven't had time to write this week. My daughter with leukemia is all jacked up on steroids and is going a mile a minute and demanding 100% of our attention. She's still like that right now, so it's sort of 'Lord of the Flies' around the Eludius house tonight. She did lose all of her hair last week, which is sad, but certainly not unexpected. She stays up until 2 or 3 in the morning making demands for Diego, Dora, fried chicken, spaghetti (buh-sketti), and chocolate milk. Then she's up early in the morning and ready for another round. Needless to say, my wife and I are physcially and mentally exhausted. But enough about that!


Last Saturday was the annual South Carroll Business Association's Expo. Normally the event is held at Liberty High School, but this year the event was held the Century High School. A friend of mine is very active in SCBA, so I decided to check out the work that he did.

The event had local businesses who were offering samples of their wares, free stuff, offers to open accounts at their company, and plenty of raffles. Of course I signed up for every raffle. And I was polite and pretended that I was interested in opening a bank account at every bank in Eldersburg.


I ran into some people I know, which pretty much happens to anyone who's lived in Eldersburg more than 5 years. I took home several bags of pencils, pens, magnets, and bank account applications. I did make a bid on a framed and matted hockey photo of Cindy Crosby and Alex Ovechkin in the silent auction.


Next day I got a call that I was the winner of the hockey photo. Very exciting! Sad, however, because I was the first bidder. It is now proudly hung over my bed. In my defense, I did ask my wife where I should hang it and she said she didn't care. I then got another call that I won a $25 gift card to Qdoba from the Carroll County Times. And finally, I was informed that I won something from J Marie's Salon. Though I'm nearly bald, I'm thinking of getting some highlights and a perm.

So all in all not a bad day! I think it would be a little better if it was on a Saturday prior to when softball, lacrosse, and baseball starts. I know the fields around town were full of kids and parents. If the event was even 3 weeks sooner the turnout could have been a little higher. I'll definitely be there again next year.

No comments:

Who links to my website?
 
Add to Technorati Favorites Add to Technorati Favorites Add to Technorati Favorites