Tuesday, March 01, 2011

Gone From Eldersburg: Pete's Cycle

I just noticed this last week and couldn't believe it. Pete's Cycle, which I think may have been the only place in Carroll County to buy a motorcycle, is now closed. Is there another place?

When we moved to Eldersburg in 1999 the place was basically a house with a showroom in the front porch. Soon after that they expanded and built a warehouse around the house. It's an odd building because there really isn't any parking and only one small window in the front. It doesn't appear to be a place where you'd go and buy something.

In the rear of the property are a bunch of old sheds. I suppose the property could be renovated by removing the sheds and creating parking and opening up the facility to include some windows.

While growing up as a kid I remember going to the Pete's Cycle with my dad. I think that was on Joppa Road between Loch Raven Boulevard and the I-695 overpass. We later moved to Bel Air and there was a Pete's Cycle there, as well. There I bought my first 10 speed, a Schwinn with the awesome curl-around handlebars, but with a spongy grip. I saved my allowance for a long time to buy that bike. Soon after that my parents or grandparents bought my brother and sister their own 10-speeds. Lesson learned for my siblings - let the older brother blow his money, then we'll get one, too! But I digress.

Anyway, Pete's Cycle in Eldersburg is now gone with what is seeming to be a lot of things in town. Will the recession ever end? Martin O'Malley - why aren't you coming to our rescue???

No comments:

Who links to my website?
 
Add to Technorati Favorites Add to Technorati Favorites Add to Technorati Favorites