Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Too Bad It Wasn't Peter

When I walked into the gym today I saw on the news that George Steinbrenner had died. That's too bad. He's a good example of someone who runs an organization and after years of meddling and running it into the ground he finally figured out that he should hire someone competent to run it for him. And now the Yankees are a dominating force in baseball. You can hate them all you want (and I do!), but you have to admire their ability to play by the rules (bad rules at that) and win year after year.

I turned to a friend and said, "Too bad it wasn't Peter (Angelos)."

"You're going to hell for that! Wouldn't you feel terrible if he died next?

Honestly, not really. Peter hasn't figured it out yet. He's made Baltimore a baseball embarrassment in what was once a proud baseball city. David Letterman and Jay Leno makes jokes about our city because the Orioles suck so much. The team is on it's way to it's 12th consecutive losing season. 12th. Twelve! TWELVE!!! My children have never seen the Orioles play over .500 baseball, let alone make the playoffs. They are going to grow up hating the Orioles because they suck.

I restated my comment to another friend later in the day and she agreed with me, then added a twist. "Would you feel bad if O'Malley died?"

While I can't agree with O'Malley and his failed policies, I can honestly say that I wouldn't wish him dead. He's a father of young children and it wouldn't even be remotely funny to joke about that. There's still hope that Papa Marty will see the light and stop moving Maryland forward toward a bottomless black hole and get us moving toward economic prosperity again. And I'm all in favor of allowing Bob Ehrlich help take this task off of O'Malley's hands so that he could focus on other things.

And for the record, I don't really wish Peter would die (at least not because I wished him to). I just want him to sell the team to Cal Ripken.

No comments:

Who links to my website?
 
Add to Technorati Favorites Add to Technorati Favorites Add to Technorati Favorites