Thursday, July 15, 2010

Eludius - Robbed. Literally.

When I went to get into my truck this morning I noticed that something wasn't quite right. My driver's-side door wasn't shut tight. I immediately went back in time trying to determine what I was doing when I last got out of the truck.

The previous night I had gone to Pizza Hut to get breadsticks (buy 1 get 1 free coupon!). I was waiting for my son to get out of the back before I locked it (my Honda doesn't lock until all of the doors are closed). I was startled by my wife who was sitting on the bench on my porch and we began talking. And I never locked the truck. Dang it!

So I open the truck and look around. The glove box is open and its contents dispersed (Maryland map, some paper, and the manual.) The center console is open. Luckily they didn't steal the 2 bottles of water that I had in there. My sunglasses. Where are my sunglasses? They stole my $12.50 sunglasses that I just bought at Kohl's the other night. Now I'm REALLY mad.

I get in the truck and notice the other door is open. I reach over and close it and head off to work.

When I get to work I call the Carroll County Sheriff's department to report the incident. The officer tells me to call back when I'm home and they'll send a detective to take fingerprints. I send my wife an email letting her know what happened (she's still asleep).

Over the next couple of hours I learn that another neighbor's car was hit. They busted out the back window of his pickup and stole some of the contents. They called the sheriff and seeing him there my wife went to talk to him.

Since I had already driven the car, he said, I had contaminated the crime scene. However, he did take a report. He said that it happens quite often in Carroll County. And it's usually some punks from the city or western Baltimore County (read Randallstown).

I read this to be another example of Martin O'Malley's failed crime prevention policy. If Martin O'Malley truly cared about reducing vehicular crimes, he would do more. He's not moving us forward in this regard. He's moving us backwards. This is an obvious failure in his inability to properly fund needed crime prevention programs.

Later in the day I learned that another neighbor also had her car ransacked. And this is on top of kids ringing door bells in the middle of the night. I think it's about time I sleep on the porch with my Louisville Slugger.

No comments:

Who links to my website?
 
Add to Technorati Favorites Add to Technorati Favorites Add to Technorati Favorites