Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Harford County Teachers Cry Foul

Teachers in Harford County Maryland are crying foul to a plan to reduce the budget for salaries by 2%. The Harford County government is facing a $12 million budget shortfall and cuts need to be made somewhere.

Teachers reacted with outrage saying that a cut in pay would be demoralizing. However, I find it difficult to have any sympathy for them. Here at American Amalgamated Corrugated Conglomerates of America, we went through an 8% reduction in staff last year. 8%!!!! Several hundred people were laid off. When private companies do not have enough revenue to support the staff levels, then staff must be reduced. It's a fact of life. No one wants to fire employees. But in order to save everyone else's job, some people must be terminated.

I have been laid off twice in my life and don't get me wrong - I was angrier than an ugly TV reporter whose romantic advances were rejected by a Maryland governor. It sucks. And I hated those companies. But I know they had to do it. And I'm better off for it now.

Unfortunately, when dealing with unions or public sector jobs, or in this case both, there is no understanding, just outrage when the budget must be balanced. And the best part is that I'm pretty sure that Harford County will not be able to get rid of the teachers that suck. Union rules probably prevent that. Instead they will have to get rid of young teachers - regardless if they are awesome teachers or not. Merit does not matter in a union. Good luck!

No comments:

Who links to my website?
 
Add to Technorati Favorites Add to Technorati Favorites Add to Technorati Favorites