Thursday, July 23, 2009

Book Review - Dress Your Family in Corduroy and Denim

In a conversation with one of my friends I mentioned that I wanted to read The Jungle by Upton Sinclair, which I previously reviewed. This friend said she had the book and would lend it to me. When she brought it to me she also brought Dress Your Family in Corduroy and Denim by David Sedaris and she also brought Blink by Malcolm Gladwell. I have yet to read Blink, but it's on my list.

I packed both books for my trip to the beach, but for some reason packed them separately and my wife left the bookbag with her magazines and books and Blink behind on the livingroom floor when we left for the beach. But it was my fault that we left it behind.

I started reading DYFCD on Friday, our first day there. And in 3 days I was done. The book is a collection of funny essays about growing up with his family in North Carolina. Much of the book ties back to an opportunity they once had at buying a vacation property on the Outer Banks.
We all have quirky families and we all know that we are the only normal one in the family. I'm sure my brother and sister say the same thing, even though I know I'm the only normal one. (hi guys!) This is a book that totally espouses that theory. You will read this book and start thinking about your own family and how you could write your own book.

The book is very funny and very much fits with my style of humor. And for those of you that don't know (because I didn't), David Sedaris is gay. I kept thinking that some of the things that he was doing were a bit odd - until I figured this out. One situation is when he was a kid making another kid sit naked on his lap as punishment for losing a card game. Once I figured this out I thought it was funny. Yes, I'm a little slow.

Having read this book I'm ready to read more of his books. In fact, I have several friends pushing his books on me in addition to my wife's cousin. And to think - 3 months ago I had never even heard of this guy.

I recommend this book - especially if you have an open mind.

No comments:

Who links to my website?
 
Add to Technorati Favorites Add to Technorati Favorites Add to Technorati Favorites