Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Goodwill Irreverence

This weekend I spent many hours cleaning out my daughter's room. She's the type of person that doesn't mind a good mess. However, she's not paying the mortgage and I DO mind the mess. So on Sunday while she was at a friend's house I plowed everything out of the room and into the hallway. I was surprised to learn that her room has wall-to-wall carpeting. Who knew?

After an hour or so of cleaning and several hours more of going through the stuff and readmitting it to the room we had a pile that was eligible to be hauled to Goodwill. There's nothing like getting rid of stuff you don't need and getting a tax-break from the IRS. Now if we could only find a way to get rid of my neighbors and get a tax break for that, too, but I digress.

Yesterday was the haul-it-to-Goodwill day. I had 15 bags of stuff, plus 2 boxes of assorted books, toys, and stuff that wouldn't fit in my trashcan. I pulled up as I usually do, backed up to the unloading zone and popped the hatch. If you've never been to Goodwill, the facility employees disadvantaged men. Some are mentally ill, some are border-line mentally retarded, some have criminal histories. You get the idea. The intention is to employ them, get them on their feet, give them some purpose in life, structure their lives, etc… And I admire this.

As I'm unloading one of the men comes and helps me pull bags out of my truck. We're almost done when a bee-atch pulls up in her Acura with the hug a tree, celebrate diversity, and O'Malley for Governor bumper stickers, pops her trunk, and sarcastically hollers with a total air of superiority and disrespect, "Hello!!!! Would you MIND helping ME???!!!"

I'm not sure if anything came out of my mouth, but I know thoughts were racing through my mind. I wanted to smack the fecal matter out of her. Why do people have to act that way? Where's the respect? It's as if she's saying, "I'm in favor of helping people except when it inconveniences me."

No comments:

Who links to my website?
 
Add to Technorati Favorites Add to Technorati Favorites Add to Technorati Favorites