Sunday, November 30, 2008

Christmas Time Already???

On Friday morning my kids were driving us crazy. But that's like saying Maryland is run by a band of wild condescending liberals - it's a given. So my wife made the kids a promise. If they clean their rooms and the play room we would put the Christmas tree up. And away they went.

Their rooms have never been cleaned so quickly. We should randomly tell them that we'll put up the Christmas tree throughout the year if it achieves our objectives.


When the inspection concluded and their rooms passed I started lugging the plastic crates of Christmas crap upstairs from the basement. Up went the authentic fake Christmas tree. Luckily this year I inserted most of the branches right-side up. Last year I put ALL of them on upside down and I wasn't made aware of this until I had hung the lights and tinsel.


It was a lot of fun watching my 15 month-old daughter watch us. It's the first Christmas that she remembers. Come to think of it, next year will also be the first Christmas she remembers. It's sort of like being an old person, but cute.


The process from start to finish took about 3 hours - about 2 hours and 59 minutes longer than it takes State Senate President Mike Miller to act like a bunghole during a caucus meeting.


We played Christmas music from Lite 101.9 all during the trimming. This would be the 4th week that they've been playing Christmas music. I heard Christmas music playing in Wal-Mart (apologies for shopping there) the day after Halloween. Nothing gets me in the mood for Thanksgiving more than some Christmas music.


The next day I called my brother to come over and help me put up the decorations outside. Unlike the majority of Americans, he enjoys being outside in the cold and hanging up Christmas lights. We spend a couple of hours untangling lights (piece of crap lights).


My brother is an electrician and fortunately for me he has an interest in testing burnt out light bulbs and electric lines. I had tossed 2 $2 lines to the side to be replaced. He spent about 1/2 an hour testing them and got them fixed. He saved me $4!!! So all is done.

Have you put up your Christmas decorations yet?

1 comment:

Charm City Kim said...

Not yet. We were going to but totally got sidetracked.

Who links to my website?
 
Add to Technorati Favorites Add to Technorati Favorites Add to Technorati Favorites