Friday, October 10, 2008

Def Leppard and Hockey

Did you catch Def Leppard singing at the hockey celebration in Detroit yesterday on the Versus channel? It was quite a show.

Now, from a historical perspective, you'll agree that Def Leppard is the 2nd or 3rd best band of all time -after Van Halen, of course, and perhaps a statistical tie with Led Zeppelin. Now, I'm talking rock bands here. This does not include those boy-bands, like that 1960's version of Nsync. What was it called, the Beatles?

So anyway, I heard them sing Let's Get Rocked (Adrenalizer), Animal and Pour Some Sugar on Me (Hysteria), and Foolin' (Pyromania). Now, there's no doubt that they were singing live. Let's face it - they're in their late 40's. At this point, I'd make a good frontman for the band. Overall, though, I think they did a good job. Though the singing was not up to their vintage 80's peak, their guitar and drum playing was probably even better than it was 25 years ago.

I do want to point out that those Limeys did make one HUGE faux pas. They brought out the Cup. Joe Elliott (lead singer) grabbed the Cup and carried over to the podium and placed it upside-down. Dolt!!! I think it was Darren McCarty who ran over to the podium and flipped it around to which Elliot replied, "What do we know? We're just a bunch of soccer guys."

Oh, well. At least hockey season has started.

On a funny note - there was an article on Fox Sports about Alexander Ovechkin and the importance of hockey mom's. The article pointed out that like Sarah Palin, Ovechkin's mom made many sacrifices for her son.

A friend of mine emailed me and asked why they didn't mention Sidney Crosby in the article. I told him that the article was about mothers and I think that Crosby was raised by a same-sex couple in San Francisco.

No comments:

Who links to my website?
 
Add to Technorati Favorites Add to Technorati Favorites Add to Technorati Favorites