Friday, April 18, 2008

Just Read...

I blog about the movies I watch (see http://www.fromzekescouch.blogspot.com/). I thought today that I should blog about the books that I read.

I just finished reading Italy and Its Invaders today. I was in between books. I wanted to read the new book by Joseph Ellis, American Creation. I got it out of the library, but before I finished An Inconvenient Book by Glenn Beck (which is hysterical!), American Creation was due and couldn't be renewed because it's a new release.

And since my Playboy subscription ran out when the kids were born, I had to find something else to read. (Note: yes, the articles in Playboy are good and the cartoons are funny, but let's be honest, they're not as good as the pictures. My wife's not stupid.)

I browsed through the history section and decided to read something different. I picked up this seemingly short book by Girolamo Arnaldi. I thought to myself, 'I don't know much about Italy. Why not?'

This book was not an easy read. It contains so much unfamiliar information that I just couldn't read it like I would normally read a book.

I did know that Italy was not a country until the late 19th century. Prior to that it was a collection of city states and regions. And apparently it was invaded a lot, which explains the title of the book.

And what's up with all those Popes? Innocent. Boniface. Clement. Urban. Obviously integral to the history of Italy (for those of you that went to Baltimore City public schools and were busy beating up your art teacher - Vatican City is in Rome and that's where the Pope usually lives.)

Overall, this book is chocked full of information. I'm not sure that I could regurgitate much of it. I could pull out some names and cities and battles. However, this book is probably better as a reference. And it was written as if the audience was Italian. There are many references to "our country". What? The U.S.?

I'm happy to be done the book. It was 203 pages long and it took me 3 weeks to read it - well below my average reading rate. I have American Creation at home and plan to begin reading it tonight.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the TV de LCD, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://tv-lcd.blogspot.com. A hug.

Who links to my website?
 
Add to Technorati Favorites Add to Technorati Favorites Add to Technorati Favorites