Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Winthrop lost to who????

Winthrop, the former powerhouse in Division I basketball, lost a tough game last night to Mount St. Mary's University. It's the second game I have seen since graduating from Winthrop a couple of years ago. Okay, I graduated 13 years ago, but that's not the point.

Anyway, a game which was expected to be a blowout by Winthrop didn't go so well. Chris Gaynor sat out half way through the second half with 4 fouls. Neither team could hit a basket. All 85 fans were getting really frustrated. A good thing was that you could sit anywhere you wanted. Oh, well. At least I got to see them.

But how can a team that beat Georgia Tech earlier in the year, and the same team who played a close game with Mississippi last week, lose to the Mount? The Mount!!! I just don't understand. Maybe it was the crowd noise.

Fortunately, there were no fights, there were no ejections, no screaming, and no cursing at the officials. I think held my composure pretty well. And the players and coaches behaved well, too.

After the game, the mass of people filed out of the Knott Arena, which is just a little bit bigger than the Bel Air High School gymnasium, and headed home. We traversed through the metropolis of Emmitsburg, both acres of it. I didn't realize that Emmitsburg was so far out in the middle of nowhere. It took us over an hour to get there. Ugh. Getting up this morning was tough.

And I feel hung over, but all I had last night was a Double Quarter Pounder with Cheese and a Diet Coke. Though I think the Quarter Pounder was made from deer meat, you know, the kind that you see in pictures of hunting magazines where little 8 year old girls are holding up the head of their latest kill? Awesome!

No comments:

Who links to my website?
 
Add to Technorati Favorites Add to Technorati Favorites Add to Technorati Favorites