Thursday, December 27, 2007

How I Broke My Cassette Player, OR Why I Didn't Go To Work Today

If you ever watched the Rocky and Bullwinkle Show, you know exactly the meaning of that title. I was hoping to write a post about Christmas, but I think that can wait. Today, I had a date with Destiny.

Unfortunately for me, Destiny was the driver of the 2005 Mitsubishi Gallant that spun out of control and slammed into the side of my truck on Liberty Road this morning on my way to work. I have some suspicion that Martin O'Malley learned of this blog and sent her to take me out. He failed.

I have a few photos taken from my cell phone, but I don't know how to get them off of there and into the computer. When my wife arrived to pick me up, she brought the camera so that I could get "evidence" of the crime. (You can click on the photos to get a larger picture of the crime scene.)

I was traveling eastbound on Liberty Road coming up on Old Liberty Road. I saw a car in the left lane of the west bound direction with its turn signal on.

Coming from behind the Gallant I see a silver car flying by going sideways. I realize that she has absolutely no control of her vehicle.

A split second later I realized that she was now coming into my lane as her car was doing pirouette's and spinning tail first right at me.

The next thing I know she slams into the side of me and I am now traveling backwards. A split second later, I am down in a ditch looking straight up the wrong direction of the road.
I called my wife to let her know that I was in an accident, but I was fine. People who saw the accident came racing to my truck, sure that I was dead. Fortunately for me, they were surprised to see me cussing at the steering wheel.I tried to open my door, but it was jammed shut. I climbed through the passenger side to get out. By this point, the Maryland State Police were already on the scene and tending to the other vehicle. The officer approached me and asked if I was okay, which I said I was. She said that by the looks of the accident, I was lucky not to be seriously injured.

The ambulance arrived at the scene within a few minutes. One of the EMT's approached me and asked if I was okay, which I again responded that I was. He said that by the looks of the accident, I was lucky that I was not seriously injured. Okay, time to start counting my blessings. Thanks, Big Guy up in the sky.
The paramedics arrived and they extricated the lady from the car. They took her away while the state police gathered information for what happened. I explained my version to the officer. When I finished, he said that my version matches identically with the version provided by the lady that was traveling behind me.

An hour later, the rollback arrives and they take away my car. My wife comes to get me and we go home.

I decided to go to the doctor just to get checked out. When I arrive, I tell them that I was in an accident this morning and wanted to get checked out. The lady at the desk asks, "Were you in that accident this morning on Liberty Road down where it intersects with Old Liberty Road." Yes. "By the looks of that accident, you're lucky you weren't seriously injured." Yes, I already to go Church. But I'll keep going now.

Later in the day I get a call from her insurance company and they arrange a rental car for me. I go to pick it up and I tell the guys that I am here to get a rental car that was called in by the other driver's insurance company. They casually ask if I was in an accident. I said yes, this morning. The one guy says, "were you in that accident on Liberty Road down by Old Liberty Road? Both of those cars were F-d up!!!" Okay, I'm starting to feel like some higher power that's been given a second chance.

So, I am fine. I'm going to work tomorrow. At least that's the plan. I am anticipating waking up in serious pain. If I do, I'll thank God that I can feel pain. After all, I could be in the hospital or worse...

3 comments:

CAG Incognito said...

OMG G-Rard!!! I'm so happy to hear you're okay.

However, in addition to you being saved by the grace of God, this may also be his way of contributing to your $$ blessings as well. :-) Take her @$$ to the bank! Didn't you tell me your neck hurts too??? ;-)

Duffer13 said...

G - now you have to come to poker - too much luck used up there so you would be easy money - I mean, welcome to play at the table.

Glad you are Ok....

Freemarket said...

You're lucky you weren't hurt. Or have you already heard that?

Glad you lived...

Who links to my website?
 
Add to Technorati Favorites Add to Technorati Favorites Add to Technorati Favorites