Monday, November 26, 2007

Give Thanks

Most of America celebrated Thanksgiving this weekend. It's the time of year that we should reflect upon what we have and how we should be grateful (or thankful) for what we have.

This year, I am thankful for my family's health and our happiness. We celebrate with a new member of our family. My 3 1/2 month old daughter insisted that she not sit in the bouncy seat on her first Thanksgiving. Instead, she viewed the turkey and all the trimmings from the comfort of my lap. And in addition to my brother, she also saw the food that we were eating.

This year, I am thankful that my family was in a good mood. You never know what you're going to get when we all get together. My sister is a left-wing nut. "God bless the people with no ambition that want to suckle on the teet of the working class," she says. "Execute Martin O'Malley for treason", my father says. And this is the friendly fire. Things often get heated.

After everyone had left, my wife and I got to discussing Christmas. I'm sure you are all familiar with Christmas - it's that holiday that 99% of agnostics and pagans celebrate. It's the night that St. Secular comes down fibre optic line through your TIVO and delivers electronic gadgets from Sony and Apple to the self-absorbed narcissists. But I digress.

My wife said that her mother is giving her a check for $1000 for Christmas, just as she did last year. She is in her 60's and wants to start drawing down her assets so that we are not slugged with the death tax, compliments of Congress and the Maryland General Assembly. This is where they graciously take most of your money when you die - it's in order to pay your fair share of the services that they provide.

My wife then mentioned that her 2 aunt's would probably both give her $100. This is usually in addition to gifts. I got to thinking. It must be nice to have a big family. My family consists of my 2 parents, both of whom are only children. I have no uncles. I have no aunts. I have no cousins. Sure, I have some second cousins, but they are in their late 40's and 50's. And they live elsewhere. I think my mother is giving me Season 3 of Magnum P.I., something that I want.

Two years ago, on my birthday, I got a cheese steak sub for my birthday from my family. I was thankful for what I received. However, I cannot help comparing the gifts that my wife's family gives her to the gifts my family gives to me. I shouldn't do that. Different circumstances. Different priorities. Different opportunities.

Enough about that. I am also thankful that New England was able to defeat Philadelphia this weekend. You see, Philadelphia is Baltimore's Mississippi. Arkansas is the 49th worst state in union. The only thing keeping it from being the worst is Mississippi. The only thing keeping Baltimore from being the worst city in America is Philadelphia. Happy Thanksgiving!

No comments:

Who links to my website?
 
Add to Technorati Favorites Add to Technorati Favorites Add to Technorati Favorites